- Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 October, 2023 – Lithgow, NSW
This program provides participants with the skills and knowledge to effectively operate four-wheel (4×4) drive vehicles in a variety of work settings with different terrains including off road and unsealed surfaces.
Training and Assessment is delivered by Risk Response + Rescue. Ben Carceller will be your trainer on this course.
Some vehicle insurance providers will offer a discount upon presentation of successful completion of this training course. For example, Club 4×4 will offer a 20% discount on your annual premium after completing this course. You should check with your insurance provider to receive confirmation.
Unit of Competency
- FWPCOT3259 – Operate a four wheel drive on unsealed roads
- FWPCOT3326 – Recover four wheel drive vehicle
- Identify four-wheel drive specific terms and terminology
- Conducting checks of 4×4 vehicle and equipment
- Preparing for 4×4 operations
- Operating 4×4 vehicle on unsealed terrain types
- Operating 4×4 vehicle on a steep slope
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs on 4×4 vehicles
- How to Identify loads, ratings and equipment serviceability related to four wheel drive vehicle recovery
- Recovery planning
- How to perform kinetic rope or strap recovery
- Winch recovery
- The use of other recovery tools and equipment and Maintenance of Vehicle recovery equipment
Mode of Delivery
This course will be delivered via face to face at one of our leading facilities.
For group bookings we can deliver these courses at your location. Contact us for more information.
This course is scheduled for:
- Day 1 – Operate 4WD Vehicle
- Day 2 – Recover 4WD Vehicle (Optional add on, recommended)
Pre-Requisite and Entry Requirements
Students must hold a current valid driver’s licence and have a basic understanding of motor vehicle operations which will be confirmed at the time of enrolment.
Students must have language, literacy and numeracy skills (LLN) to interpret and apply relevant information to commence learning in this program. An LLN assessment may be conducted upon receipt of enrolment application to ensure each student has the appropriate level of skills required to undertake this course.
Individuals must hold a driver licence or a provisional driver licence prior to commencing this unit of competency.
Participants are required to demonstrate language, literacy, numeracy and employment skills that are essential for performance in the following UoC:
- FWPCOT3326 – Participants will be required to Interpret basic factual information on tool and equipment labels and in manufacturer manuals, Complete workplace forms using required format, industry terminology and structure, Use effective verbal communication techniques to convey instructions to people in vicinity location of recovery operation and Apply numeric skills to check rating of recovery equipment .
- FWPCOT3259 – Participants will be required to Read and comprehend basic factual information on four wheel drive vehicle equipment labels and in manufacturer manuals, complete workplace forms using required format, industry terminology and structure, Use effective verbal communication techniques to convey instructions to people involved in four-wheel drive operation, Numeracy and Estimate time of a journey and fuel consumption.
Students who successfully complete this course and demonstrate competence will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment under the Australian Qualifications Framework. The certification will be issued by Risk Response and Rescue (RTO 90774).
- Option 1 – Operate 4WD Vehicle (1 day) – $550 per participant
- Option 2 – Operate and Recover 4WD Vehicle (2 days) – $800 per participant
- Maximum 2 participants per vehicle
- Note: Operate 4WD Vehicle is a prerequisite to Recover 4WD Vehicle
- For group bookings please contact us
- All course materials, handouts.
- Recovery & 4wd equipment – equipment can be purchased through Adrenalin Off Road Centre and brought along on the day.
- Students must supply own 4WD vehicle unless otherwise arranged
- Students must wear appropriate clothing and footwear when attending face-to-face sessions.
- Students must have their own Rated Recovery Gear
- Refer to the Participant Information Handbook for information about our policies and procedures.
What vehicles are suitable for this training?
- This course is suitable for beginners, and unmodified 4WD vehicles.
- Comprehensive Vehicle Insurance is required.
- All wheel drive vehicles are permitted after discussion with us to confirm suitability
What do you need to bring on this course?
- Basic Recovery Gear (Snatch strap/rope and two shackles at a minimum)
- Rated recovery points, or tow hitch.
- Winch fitted to vehicle is highly recommended for the Recovery Course.
- UHF Radio 80 Channel (Car mounted or handheld suitable – rental handhelds available)
- Enclosed shoes | Waterproof shoes, gumboots for river section
- Appropriate clothing for the predicted weather
- Drinking water for you and your passengers
- All meals
- Hats and sunscreen (You will be outdoors for the duration of the training)
To ensure a great experience for all participants, please ensure you comply with all the basic requirements for this course.
Where to Stay
You have the option of:
- Hill End – Free camping from the Friday night on private property with toilet facility; or
- Hill End – Accommodation in town, 20-25 minute drive from training property – Hill End Lodge, where all meals can be arranged.
For other locations, accommodation recommendations will be provided upon booking.
Are bookings required?
- Bookings are required to join this course.
- This course will be strictly limited to 8 participants (maximum 2 participants per vehicle).
- Bookings can be done by calling the shop on 02 4648 2085 or by booking online.
- Once the booking has been confirmed you will receive an email with the Registration and Enrolment forms to complete your booking.
FWPCOT3259 Operate a four wheel drive on unsealed roads has been superseded and will be replaced by FWPCOT3325 Operate four wheel drive vehicle on unsealed roads and is deemed not equivalent.
Students participating in FWPCOT3259 will be transitioned to FWPCOT3325 post 26th January 2023.
*Learning and assessment hours will vary depending on your existing skills, underpinning knowledge and prior experience and your commitment to your learning and practical application of activities.
Please read our terms and conditions prior to booking in the Frequently Asked Questions
Call Adrenalin Off-Road Centre on 02 4648 2085 to make your booking and we will send out your registration and enrolment forms as well as an information pack with any pre-learning material the week prior to your training.
Adrenalin Off-Road Centre NSW Parks Eco Pass Licence No. LIC20-62
Training and Assessment is provided by Risk Response + Rescue Pty Ltd RTO # 90744